Driving during the winter in Massachusetts can be one of the most difficult and hazardous situations for both new and experienced drivers.
As the snow flies we offer some winter driving tips:
- Reduce your speed according to road conditions. Drive cautiously and accelerate gently.
- Never lock your brakes on icy roads. You will lose steering control. If you do skid, try to remember to turn into the direction of the skid.
- Increase the space between your vehicle and others. You need more distance to stop safely on slippery surfaces.
- Make sure your windshield washer has sufficient fluid and that your wipers and defroster are in good condition.
- Before driving, completely remove ice and snow from your vehicle. Clear all windows, wipers, headlights, and brake lights.
- Keep your fuel tank at least half full to prevent the fuel line from freezing.
- Keep a sleeping bad or blanket, flashlight, water, high calorie food that will not spoil, and a shovel in your trunk for emergencies.
- Best tip of all: Don’t Drive!
From all of us at MassAutoQuote: Stay Safe Massachusetts!