Pretty cool stuff, this managed competition. I think. I’ve had the great privelege & honor of doing, probably, 200 quotes using the new software and expanding discounts and programs and it is true: consumers are going to save money. However, even once you get your new rate, is it the lowest? Do you have the most consumer friendly product?
Here are some basic April 1, 2008 auto shopping rules:
1.) Package Your Auto & Home Insurance through the same agency/company!
For the first time in 30 years companies are offering an account discount on auto insurance. Discounts available are anywhere from 5% – 10% on the auto & 10% – 20% on the home.
2.) Utilize an Independent Insurance Agency!
Most Massachusetts Insurance Agencies write business with five auto insurance carriers. By utilizing an Independent Agency you will be utilizing the most valuable tool that the new, managed competition system offers. An Independent Insurance Agency will be most familiar with the different discounts and programs that are available.
3.) Take advantage of available discounts!
This one is, sort of, the tricky one. Different companies offer different discounts and knowing which ones are best for you is where an Independent Insurance Agent should be able to provide you valuable assistance.
When reviewing different companies discounts, however, keep in mind that no matter how many alleged discounts or percentage points companies are promising, the bottom line premium is the most important thing.
Some of the new, April 1, 2008 discounts that are available are:
- Account discount on your auto if you have a home, apartment or condominium policy with the same company.
- Improved excellent driver & excellent driver plus discounts (99 & 98 drivers).
- Pay in full discounts.
- Hybrid vehicle discount.
- Advanced driver training discount.
- Certain college (for example: Boston College & Merrimack College) and organization (for example: Mass Bar Association & Mass Medical Society) discounts.
- Good student discount (“B”or better)
- Student away at school discount.
4.) Make certain that you have the best insurance program!
Massachusetts consumers have long been neglected compared to insurance programs that have been available to out of state auto insurance policy holders.
Some of the new, April 1, 2008 programs that are available include:
- Disappearing Collision Deductible.
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost.
- Emergency Road Travel Expenses.
- Auto loan/Gap Coverage.
- Combined bill options.
- Electronic Funds Transfer billing option/ No service fees.