Riding a motorcycle in Massachusetts is challenging and fun. It can also be dangerous.
Much like your auto insurance policy, the cost of your motorcycle insurance will be determined by driving record, experience, town, year, make, model, and value of the bike.
Tips For Beginner Riders:
– Take the MA Rider Training Course. More than 90% of the motorcyclists involved in crashes are self-taught or learned from family or friends. In addition, you will be eligible for an additional 10% discount on your MA motorcycle insurance policy.
– Get your MA motorcycle learner’s permit by passing a knowledge test based on the MA drivers’ license manual. This test may be taken without an appointment at any full-service Registry of Motor Vehicles.
– To earn your MA motorcycle license, pass the Beginner Rider Course or the RMV’s road test.
– Wear protective riding gear. State law requires motorcycles and their passenger (also moped riders) to wear a helmet. State law also requires motorcyclists and their passengers to have eye protection. To better protect yourself from the elements and the road, wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket, long pants, over the ankle footwear, and full finger gloves.
– Insure, Register, and Inspect your motorcycle. There are mandatory and optional insurance coverages available for motorcycles. Obtain registration, license plate, and title for your motorcycle by having your MA insurance agent prepare and stamp a Registry Form 1 for you. Within 7 days of getting your motorcycle registered, get your MA inspection sticker. Each year you must have your motorcycle reinspected between January 1 and May 31.
– Share the road. Ride defensively and be courteous. Never try to save time by weaving through traffic. Use both electric and hand turn signals and your horn to communicate with other drivers. Position yourself on the road to avoid the blind spots fo drivers. Wear highly visible clothing to be seen by other drivers. Look for drivers taking left turns in front of you, especially at intersections — most crashed between cars and motorcycles occur this way.
– Have Fun!
Our Massachusetts Agents quote motorcycle insurance with multiple companies including: Travelers, Progressive, and Safety Insurance.